Stop By www.DisneyJr.ca to enter their contest and win great prizes!
Great Places on the Internet
There are so many great places on the Internet! Places to order things, to learn, to play games, or just to waste time. I'll post the ones I find here, and fell free to submit your own to share.
Facebook (of course!) let's you contact and connect with people you see every day, people you haven't seen in years, or even meet new people who share your interests. I agree it can be overused, but when you use it for certain things, it can be a great tool.
Tiny Buddha I saw this on a friends page, and thre are some great quotes, suggestions on how to relax and focus, and articles about various issues. www.tinybuddha.com
Free Arcade This is a site that was shown to me back in college, and it still does the same thing. Play assorted games (including Mario Brothers) for free
How Stuff Works I am constantly being asked how things work or what makes things the colour they are, this site is great for finding thoose answers.
Everything Mom I found this page one day while looking around the Internet. There are great ideas on things to do, recipes, household solutions, even a book club.
Mommy Connections This is a great way to meet other moms in your area. Check out the website at www.mommyconnections.ca
Kids on TV or the Internet
It's hard to know where to go on the Internet to find great stuff for your child, or what TV shows/channels are good for them to watch. I don't think too much computer or TV use is good for small children, but in out world it's easier to limit use then to avoid it completely.
Discney Jr. : This is a TV channel especially for young children, preschool and toddler age. It can help them be active, creative, and learn.
www.disneyjr.ca : Disney has provided great games, printables, and show guides for you and your children to enjoy
Treehouse TV: This is also a great channel for young kids, while it is less musical then Disney Jr I find that Treehouse is good for after bath, while I get everyone ready for bed she can enjoy a few minutes of calm shows that often make her giggle.
www.treehousetv.com Games, episodes, and printables for the young child in your life.
Favorite Things to do!!
Feel free to send in your favorite things to do, and I'll add them :)
1. Go to the Library - this is a great way to get out (heated and airconditioned), meet new people, and learn of activities around town.
2. Spend time at the park, there's often new people to meet there too, and kids love to climb, better at the park then on your couch!
Where do I find...??
Every once in a while I get asked where to find things, or how to find things (or I ask my friends where to find them...), so I'm going to share some of the most frequently asked here.
1. Educational, safe toys.
Discovery Toys Canada (home parties)
Laugh and Learn
2. Used baby items.
Once Upon A Child
Small Consignment shops
Facebook network or consignments
How to find Things to Do
Sometime it can be hard to find great things to do. Lots of times it just about where you look. Here's some ideas, with more specifics to come!!
1. Check the papers in your area. This doesn't only mean the large newspapers, but often the small local editions that are focused on your area only have more information about events in your area, and they come FREE to your mailbox :)
2. Ask friends. Often my friends are going places and doing things while I'm home wondering what to do with the day (besides cleaning...) Ask them. If they are going somewhere they obviously have great ideas on where to go and what to do when you get there. Plus, you might get to go together :)
3. Look online. Websites like Kijiji, Facebook, and town websites often have activities, classes, and other ideas posted. (Some great ideas include: ModernMama.ca, Mommy Connections)
4. Signs around town. I don't know about every town, but I know that when I drive around mine there often signs postedf or hockey games, trade shows, class registrations, and get togethers. These are great places to start, you might even meet new friends, or old friends, and plan other outings :)
5. Plan something yourself!! Call your friends and plan time to go sledding, or swimming, or just sit and have a coffee. If you want to do more, plan a craft day and post it online or spread the word through your friends. There's so much to do, and if you are looking for something then someone else probably is too!
FUN AND FREE
There are so many things to do with your children that are so much fun, and free!
Our favorite activity every day is to watch Imagination Movers and DANCE. Yup, I get up and I dance too. This has so many benefits, I get moving, I have fun, and no matter how bad your day is, dancing seems to make that minute a little better :)
Watch a movie TOGETHER: a Christmas movie, a Disney Classic, or whatever is on the TV that day. Disney Jr is our new favorite channel, as I can feel confident that if I leave the room for a minute it will still be age appropriate programs when I return. The shows are often educational in some way, funny, and great for bonding. They frequently give me ideas for games and crafts we can do when the show is over.
Build a snowman or snowangel
Make supper TOGETHER
Plan your week. This can be surprisingly enjoyable, as you get to hear what little minds think you should do in a week.
Build a craft. There are some good ideas on this site, as well as www.everythingmom.com and free paper toys at www.thetoymaker.com Our crafts are usually made from things we have here anyway, or can be purchased in large amounts at the dollar store.
There are so many things you can do for a childs birthday. Here's just a few:
1. Play date at the park
2. BBQ with theme
3. Local Science Center
4. Princess Party (you can hire a professional to come out dressed as your fav. princess...)
5. The local Zoo
6. Build A Bear
7. Discovery Toys birthday party
8. Teddy Bears Picnic
9. Chuck E. Cheese